LIOS Technology has a rich experience in applying its distributed temperature sensing systems to various industrial applications. Power cable monitoring projects at transmission and distribution levels are an essential part of our business. With more than 10 years of experience and more than 2500 DTS systems in permanent operation world wide LIOS Technology is in a unique position.
EN.SURE is LIOS’ continuous and cost-effective monitoring solution of the electric power transmission and distribution grid and is the key factor for a successful Smart Grid implementation.
Following a global trend also our customers in the USA are expanding their commitment to ensuring the reliability and performance of the transmission and distribution systems they operate. LIOS EN.SURE supports that commitment and is the flexible solution for underground high voltage cables, overhead transmission lines and submarine cables as well as for array cables within on and offshore wind farm installations.
Please find below some examples of recent EN.SURE installations in North America.
Utility in the Northwest of the USA, 115kV U/G transmission line
- 1 circuit of 115kV 2,500kcmil (i.e. 1,250mm²) Cu insulated (XLPE) cable of approximately 4km long
- 1 DTS monitoring system (4km, 1 channel, multimode 50/125µm) to monitor <1km of cable at this time
- Fibre optic sensor cable ( metal free FRNC, 4 multimode fibres ) installed in a separate duct
- Direct DTS data interface with Virtual Machine for temperature data reading
- DTS commissioning in June 2012
PowerSouth in Andalusia, AL, USA
- 115kV Wolf Bay Crossing U/G transmission line
- 1 circuit of 115kV 2,500mm² enamelled Cu insulated (XLPE) cable of approximately 2km long
- 1 DTS monitoring system (2km, 6 channel, multimode 50/125µm) to monitor HDD cable route
- Fibre optic sensor cable ( FIMT, stainless steel tube, 2 multimode fibres ) embedded in the power cable sheath (copper wire shielding, corrugated stainless steel sheath)
- Direct DTS data interface with PowerSouth Virtual Machine for temperature data reading
- DTS commissioning in June 2013
Utility in the Northeast of the USA, 230kV U/G transmission line
- 2 circuits of 230kV 3,000kcmil (i.e. 1,500mm²) Cu pipe-type (HPFF) route length approximately 10km long.
- 1 DTS monitoring system (10km, 8 channel, multimode 50/125µm) to monitor ~10km of cable
- Fibre optic sensor cable (HDPE underground, 2 multimode fibres) installed in separate duct with temperature trees (at each end) for ambient temperature readings
- Direct DTS data interface with enhanced visualization and Real Time Thermal Rating (RTTR) with Energy Management System (EMS) via DNP3 protocol
- DTS/RTTR commissioning in May 2013